Search this blog


Home About Contact

Here Come the Warm Tunes

Monday, January 7, 2008

A prompt: from my myspace blog

Because soon the internet as we know it, have come to love it, will be no more. Overdramatic? Paranoid? You bet. And all for good reason. I'm not going to try and pretend that I completely grasp the whole "net neutrality," debate. I understand that at the very core, though, the very fact that we are debating whether the four major media corporations should get to decide who gets what content for what price is, well, its a bad sign. A sign saying "we've almost figured out how to control every virtual blip and boop."

But that really isn't what this blog is about. It is about you and me and the fact that thousands of resources for the free and abundant exchange of information and media and ideas exists right now - and most of us barely learn how to harness this power that is

THE FUCKING INTERNET!

Sure I think things get censored, search results bought, search engines controlled for profit - but the fact that millions upon millions of users are constantly on their fat-watch-dog-asses, sniffing out bullshit and calling it out immediately----FUCKING AMAZING CYBER-ANARCHY!!!

And the hilarious part is THEY created US. We're sheparded to the shiney, gleaming, flashing distractions: except now they are interactive. Television be damned, I'll watch videos online and leave a shitty comment right below it. When was the last time you flipped across Scrubs on TBS and thought, "if this is whats funny, I'd like to shoot myself in the face." Well, if you'd seen that clip on youtube or some other more obscure video player - you could leave that thought right under the video. Immediate participatory entertainment.

Dang, this didn't start off as a late night rant - but the dork-orific passion just creeps up with a little Lambrusco.

Okay, what this is REALLY about is my love of piracy and all that it heeds, represents, and uncovers. But its really dangerous, right? Well, sort of. It is getting more press as far as arrests and shut-outs. But piracy is the potsmoking of cyberspace: everyone does it, and everyone who does it knows that it really should be okay....unless you get into dealing, selling, etc. Eh, anyhow - with major sites like the almighty OINKME going down, this shit is getting hairy.

Should that stop you?

Fuck no!!!

So it isn't as easy as clicking a file and hoping it isn't the NSA or RIAA. You just have to search out the tricks.

First I tried a proxy. That was complicated and didn't seem foolproof. Then I tried PEERGUARDIAN but got paranoid about it and again - I didn't really get how it would cover my ass. (These are all cautions taken in regards to torrents, mind you)

So really, I say get out of the neighborhood where all the crime is if you don't want to get caught. Get into the suburbs of Blogs and Directories. Below is a great video explaining a little bit about what I mean.






Here is another way to use search engines - but it is made completely simple. Just click on either firfox or ie and use the search window that pops up to search for any music! Svens Blog!!!!!

Totally fuzzy has made this search engine that searches music blogs that put up mp3s. The blogs included in the search are all willing to be a part of the search.
Totally fuzzy search engine


Okay so there are a few things to learn once you start locating these files of songs and/or albums or whatever. Some of them come in zip files or rars. These are just compressed files - like wrapping your mp3s up in one of those vaccum sealers. You just need WINRAR or something similar to get them out. If the program confuses you - just drag and drop the file onto the program window and hit "extract."
Some of them are hosted on weird download sites.
Some of them use passwords.
I mean, you kind of have to learn by trial and error and asking questions/researching. But its worth it! When I actually put together a stellar mix of rad shit that you'd never heard and never would have - its because awesome ppl on the net have made it available and I've figured out how to get it! So far, I've heard of NO cases of ppl getting in trouble for downloading files this way....but it won't be long.
Its just too fucking rad for it not to get fucked up - so learn it, try it, and enjoy it while you can.


Dude, I have not typed that much alllllll year. Maybe I can turn this in as an essay? If this shed any light for you, please comment and feel free to ask me any questions.

No comments: